- A three-ring binder is required, and should be brought to EVERY CLASS/LESSON, as well as a sharpened pencil!
- Private Voice students are strongly encouraged to obtain a recording device. This can be a digital recorder, or a recording app now found on most phones and iPods. This will really help assist in students’ practice habits.
- Acting and Kids’ Voice Class students will not be permitted to wear street shoes inside the dance studios.
- A three-ring binder is required for 1st grade and up, and should be brought to EVERY CLASS.
- Kids must wear comfortable clothing that they can move in. No skirts, dresses or tight jeans are permitted. All girls should have hair pulled away from their face.
- Black jazz shoes are required for all Broadway Kids classes.
- Performer’s prep students should wear dance shoes- no street shoes will be permitted in the studio. Jazz shoes, halfsoles, or dance socks (with grips,) are required.
GIRLS (PRE-SCHOOL BALLET/TAP CLASS:)
- All girls enrolled in ballet/tap MUST wear a leotard and tights to class. We ask that the dance outfit be simple. One or two colors, no designs or prints. Pink or Tan dance tights are required. (no shin-length leggings or stockings, please.) Their hair must be secured neatly away from their face, and no jewelry will be permitted. The only skirts that will be permitted are those that are attached to the leotard. All girls should have black tap shoes (no ties!) and pink ballet shoes.
GIRLS (ALL BALLET, JAZZ, & CONTEMPORARY CLASSES – Tap students may wear typical work-out clothes:)
- Leotard & Tights (REQUIRED – Ballet):
- All students should wear a leotard to ballet class – No half-tops, please!
- Ballet skirts are permitted for Ballet class.
- Tan, Black, or Pink Tights are required for all ballet classes.
- No nylons or any other colored tights, please. Leggings are not permitted. Girls must wear dance tights.
- Form-fitting Dance Attire (Jazz & Contemporary):
- A leotard and tights is strongly recommended for jazz and contemporary. If your jazz and/or contemporary class is not immediately before or after your ballet class, you may wear FITTED dance attire, such as leggings, tank tops, etc. Clothes should be form-fitting, to allow for the teacher to properly see your body line and make adjustments accordingly. Baggy clothes (such as sweatpants, oversized t-shirts, etc) are NOT permitted for jazz or contemporary.
- No jewelry is allowed (rings, necklaces, bracelets, or watches). Small earrings are allowed.
- Warm-Up Clothes:
- PLEASE REMEMBER- the use of warm-up clothes is strictly at the teacher’s discretion; students may be asked to remove oversized warm-up clothes, so the teacher can accurately assess body alignment.
BOYS (ALL DANCE CLASSES):
T-shirt and dance pants or shorts (sweat pants are ok, as long as they are not too baggy.)
- Please wear clothing that you feel comfortable in, but be sure the teacher is able to see alignment and positioning.
- Girls: Pink Ballet Slippers with elastic SEWN ON.
- Boys: Black Ballet Shoes with elastic SEWN ON, or Black Bloch Jazz Shoes.
- For Pre-School and Combo Classes, Black Tap Shoes are required. (For girls, no tied bows, please! Elastics, Velcro or Buckles Only)
- All other classes, Black or Tan Tap Shoes are permitted. (Black tap shoes are almost always required for performance)
Jazz & Contemporary:
- Half-soles, foot undeez, Tan Jazz Shoes and Black Jazz Shoes are permitted. (Performance footwear required for these classes for the Variety Show varies from class to class.)
- Kids, Tweens, and Teens must wear very fitted clothing: leotard and tights, leggings and snug tank tops, etc… no baggy clothes, t-shirts that ride up, or anything that prohibits the teacher from safely spotting the student.
- Stirrup or Footless dance tights are recommended, as students will be bare foot.
- Girls’ hair MUST be pulled back off face in either a bun or ponytail, and should be secured tightly to avoid distraction during class, and for safety during acrobatic tricks.
Comfortable clothes that you can move in, and a dedicated “hip-hop only” pair of sneakers. These sneakers should NOT be worn outside, and should be kept in child’s dance bag. Students should change into their sneakers once inside the studio.
Girls’ hair MUST be pulled back off face in either a bun or ponytail, and should be secured tightly to avoid distraction during class. If hair is too short to secure up, please use headbands or clips to ensure that hair is away from face. A Bun may be required for Ballet Classes. (at teacher’s discretion)
- We all know how expensive dance shoes can be, and we know how quickly children outgrow shoes! Be sure to look through our “Shoe Donation” bin at the studio, to see if someone has donated shoes that might fit you or your child.
- Have old dance shoes? Please consider donating them to the GTA Shoe Donation Bin!
- We strongly encourage all dancers to purchase a dance bag for shoes, binders and ballet skirts.